Reputation services complement gateway antivirus and traditional desktop web security solutions by providing improved performance and an additional layer of protection. Unlike traditional gateway anti-virus solutions, which typically update signatures on an hourly or daily basis, reputation services provide the equivalent of real-time updates of malware intelligence. The broader and improved URL reputation data they provide result in greater protection from web security threats and faster, more productive web surfing. However, not all reputation services function in the same manner, so IT security professionals should exercise caution when evaluating potential solutions.
As a cloud-assisted service, Reputation Enabled Defense provides instantaneous web security that is updated continuously. Not only does it improve proactive security, it helps organizations take advantage of greater computing and processor power from servers hosted in the cloud. IT can save valuable processor resources on local appliances. As a result, more users can be served at higher rates of throughput – for less money.
We’ve seen Reputation Enabled Defense provide a broad set of security and performance benefits arising from the ability to perform proactive security measures in the cloud. Below are the seven most salient benefits that we see for IT and network administrators. Check them out and then be sure to check your ReputationAuthority score using our online tool.
- Organizations can protect their valuable data by increasing efficacy and catch rate of every URL-based type of malware.
- Administrators can gain comfort in knowing that unsafe URLs face multiple levels of automated protection prior to gaining network access.
- The full power and knowledge of our user community is brought to bear on the network’s security stance through cloud-based security.
- Administrators can strike the ideal balance of web security and performance by monitoring scan results and modifying system configurations.
- Administrators can deliver higher performance to the business and raise user satisfaction levels by minimizing URL scanning and gaining higher throughput at the gateway.
- Administrators can reduce bandwidth and processing cycles with connection-level rejections of bad web sites.
- The most frequented URLs are regularly updated in the ‘ReputationAuthority’ database through intuitive learning.
Malware continues to spread across the web. The ability of a single organization’s IT staff to monitor and protect against all web security threats is eaten away by growing threat volumes and by new and ever-morphing threat variations. That is why we try to constantly push the envelope to improve methods for proactive and cloud-based security, taking into account the critical balance that must be maintained between security and performance.